What is the difference between Sport Clubs and Intramurals?

This is the number one question we get asked at first-year student orientation. Sport Clubs are for students who want to enjoy a longer relationship (usually both semesters). Sport clubs practices, meetings, competitions and fundraisers are led by club officers and club members. Sport clubs practice multiple times per week and many travel to compete against other schools’ sport club teams. Intramural are short-term competitions among Alabama students, faculty, and staff. Intramurals consist of University Alabama students, faculty and staff that compete against each other in organized leagues and tournaments on a more recreational level.

What is the difference between Sport Club and the varsity athletic program?

Sport clubs are organized and managed by students. They range from competitive to recreational to instructional and are funded by University Recreation, the Student Government Association, club fundraisers, and membership dues. Clubs compete against other university club teams across the Southeast. Varsity athletic sports are housed in the Athletic Department and compete in NCAA competition.

How do I find more information and contact information for the clubs at Alabama?

Contact names and email addresses for each club, links to their individual pages, and other club related information are available on this website. You can always contact Sport Club Staff if you have any questions about a specific club.

Are the clubs competitive, recreational, or instructional?

There are over 30 clubs at the University of Alabama which provides for a wide variety of activities and recreational pursuits. Some clubs are only competitive, recreational, or instructional while other clubs having a combination of these elements. Contact the club to inquire about its level of competition.

Are there fees to participate with clubs?

Since these clubs are student led organizations, clubs decide if there will be fees asked of the membership. Most clubs choose to charge membership dues in order to assist with the operating costs of the club. These fees may be used to pay for travel, uniforms, equipment, facilities, or possible referee fees.

Do these clubs have try-outs?

Some are open to anyone who either wants to continue an activity they currently participate in or to anyone who wants to try a new sport. However, there are many clubs that do hold try-outs due to their competitive nature and limited facilities. There may be a fee associated with the try-out. To find out specific information on try-outs, contact the club you are interested in.

How do I get scholarship and/or recruitment information?

Sport Clubs are not varsity sports, and do not have scholarships available. The clubs are funded through membership dues, fundraisers, etc. Many clubs compete competitively, while others meet solely for recreation or instructional purposes. Some of the competitive clubs do recruit and have try-outs.

How do I join a club?

Each individual club is responsible for determining its membership requirements and policies. For information on joining a club, contact the club’s contact person, as listed on the Contact information page.

What is the time commitment?

Practice times vary by club. Most practices are 2-3 times a week for two hours per practice. Clubs determine the number of practices a member must attend.

How do I start a Club Sport?

University Recreation is always pleased to add more Sport Clubs to its repertoire. All Sport Clubs must first be a registered student organization through the Office of Student Involvement. Requirements to register include, but are not limited to, a list of club officers and a faculty advisor. Those interested in forming a new sport club must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Your interest group must be composed of at least 10 people comprised of UA students, faculty or full-time staff. Students must be 51% of the group.
  • No duplication of active sport clubs (one club per sport). Men and Women may have separate clubs.
  • Sports must have a national governing body.
  • Meet with the Coordinator of Competitive Sports to go over new club guidelines.
  • All clubs must provide the Coordinator with current contact information for officers.
  • Submit a written constitution to the Office of Student Involvement & University Recreation.
  • Present documented evidence of prospective members, officers, and coaches.
  • Document potential competitors, either through a governing league or clubs at nearby universities.

Where is the Sport Club office located?

The Sport Club Office is located in the Student Recreation Center at 401 5th Avenue East. The office is the first door on the immediate right when you enter the Student Recreation Center.