The purpose of the American Red Cross Blended Learning Lifeguard course is to provide entry-level lifeguard candidates with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide a professional level of care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over
The course includes Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Participants will be required to complete the course prerequisites and the online portion of the course prior to attending the skills sessions. The online component has been designed to instruct participants in the knowledge-based aspects of the Lifeguarding program, as well as to introduce them to the skills they will practice during the instructor-led portion of the training.
Be at least 16 years of age before the last scheduled class session
Demonstrate the following pre-requisite skills:
Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing
Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
Complete the following timed activity, within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Start in the water, swim 20 yards (without goggles) using front crawl or breaststroke.
- Surface dive 7-13 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object and return to the surface.
- Swim, on the surface 20 yards on the back to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at the surface to breathe.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Prerequisite swimming skills must be scheduled no later than two business days prior to the start of the first day of class. Upon successful completion of prerequisite swimming skills, the student will be provided a link to the Red Cross online content, to be completed prior to the start of the first day of class. No exceptions and no refunds due to failure to complete pre-requisites.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Complete all (online) eLearning units prior to in-person sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid, Lifeguarding final written exams with at least a score of 80%.
- Session 6: May 23-25
- Monday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (lunch break included)
- Tuesday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (lunch break included)
- Wednesday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (lunch break included)
- (Online) eLearning Time: 7 hours
- In-Person Time: about 21 hours
- UA Student $175
- UREC Member $200
- Non-Member $225
Course Enrollment Information
- Enrollment deadline – The deadline to register is one week prior to the course start date.
- Cancellation/Refunds -Your registration holds your spot in the class. We request notice of cancellation in writing at least three business days prior to the session start date. Cancellation requests received after the session start date may not be granted. Refunds are not issued if the prerequisite assessment is not successful, if a student fails to show up for the course, or if the student is unable to continue with the course. You will be eligible to receive a full refund for all course fees if University Recreation cancels the course.
- Registration Location – The University of Alabama Student Recreation Center, Membership Services Office, or our member portal.
Please note that if we must cancel a class for weather or facility issues, we will do our best to contact you as soon as possible using the contact information you provide through registration and either reschedule or offer a refund.