The purpose of the ARC Blended Learning Lifeguard course is to provide entry-level lifeguard candidates with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional level of care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over.
The course includes Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Participants will be required to complete the course prerequisites and the online portion of the course prior to attending the skills sessions. The online component has been designed to instruct participants in the knowledge-based aspects of the Lifeguarding program, as well as to introduce them to the skills they will practice during the instructor-led portion of the training.
- Must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled class date of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a time event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards on the surface; goggles may NOT be used. Surface dive feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the 10-pound object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Digital text and personal safety equipment provided. Participant must provide his/her own swimwear, towels, and pen and notebook.
Sessions 1-3 will meet Wednesday 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Friday 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- February 28, March 2-4 and 10
- March 21, 23-25 and 31
- April 11, 13-15 and 21
Sessions 4-5 will meet Monday – Wednesday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- May 7-9
- May 14-16
- UA Student $200
- UREC Member $225
- Non-Member $250