The purpose of the American Red Cross Blended Learning Lifeguard course is to provide entry-level lifeguard candidates with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide a professional level of care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over
The course includes Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Participants will be required to complete the course prerequisites and the online portion of the course prior to attending the skills sessions. The online component has been designed to instruct participants in the knowledge-based aspects of the Lifeguarding program, as well as to introduce them to the skills they will practice during the instructor-led portion of the training.
- Must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled class date of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards on the surface; goggles may NOT be used. Surface dive feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the 10-pound object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Digital text and personal safety equipment provided. The participant must provide his/her own swimwear, towels, and pen, and a notebook.
Sessions – Temporarily Suspended
- UA Student $175
- UREC Member $200
- Non-Member $225
Course Enrollment Information
- Enrollment deadline – The deadline to register is one week prior to the course start date.
- Cancellation/Refunds – You may be eligible to receive a full refund for all course fees paid if you cancel prior to the enrollment deadline or if University Recreation cancels the course. Cancellation requests received after the course enrollment deadline will not be eligible for a refund. Registrants failing to show or who do not meet course prerequisites will not be eligible for a refund.
- Registration Location – The University of Alabama Student Recreation Center, Membership Services Office located at 400 Peter Bryce Boulevard, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35401