The American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course is currently not available. Please check back next semester.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course is to train Instructor Candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program by developing their understanding of how to use the course materials, how to conduct training sessions, and how to evaluate participants’ progress.
- Be at least 16 years of age on or before the final scheduled class date of this course.
- Have successfully completed the Fundamentals of Instructor Training course.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform swimming skills consistent with Level 4 Stroke Performance:
- Swim 25 yards each of Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke, and 15 yards of Butterfly.
- Maintain position on the back for 1-minute in deep water
- Tread water for 1-minute
Approximately 32 hours
Course Dates – Temporarily Suspended
Course Enrollment Information
- Enrollment deadline – The deadline to register is three weeks prior to the course start date.
- Cancellation/Refunds – You may be eligible to receive a full refund for all course fees paid if you cancel prior to the enrollment deadline or if University Recreation cancels the course. Cancellation requests received after the course enrollment deadline will not be eligible for a refund. Registrants failing to show or who do not meet course prerequisites will not be eligible for a refund.
- Registration Location – The University of Alabama Student Recreation Center, Membership Services Office located at 400
Peter Bryce Boulevard, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35401